Last night I was in a room surrounded by people from my past, and present. Some I wanted to see, and some I was almost nervous to see. It was strange, and at the same time comforting, because of why we were there. We all had been brought into that one blanket of space by one common interest. Nathan Vredevelt. The emotion in the compact sanctuary was so overwhelming, you could of been holding resentment for your whole life and it would of left at the doors. I suppose that is what death does to us all, unites us, and gives us new perspective. Which is really ironic. Tragedy should destroy us, but instead, most of the time it brings us together. Families torn apart by disagreement can be redeemed by one simple natural process of life. A fact.
I'm not really one to say that I was totally involved in Nathan's life, but I did get to witness it. One experience I remember, of seeing the real Nathan, was when I was eight. It was just after a service at East Hill Church was over, and my parents were visiting with my aunt and Nathan. As soon as Nathan saw me, he ran up and jumped me, pinning me to the pew and gave me a big wet kiss on the mouth. At the time I was traumatized because I was eight and had never been kissed, but looking back on it now I can only smile. There are lots of memories of Nathan I have, good ones, and funny ones.
His life, and everything that has happened after it has only made me appreciate everything more. In moments like these, I am given special glimpses as to what matters and is really important. It makes me want to know more of what I want out of life.
I see now, from everyone I saw last night, I have taken a totally different road. Things are different for me, and sometimes I feel I am somewhere else far away from them. But one thing that unites us is our common interest in God. We may not agree to everything, or how to live a life, but in the end we are all just beautiful humans.
-
I think too much.
Ryder x Urban Outfitters
7 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment