So college is going by fast, and I feel that my mind may explode with all of the knowledge that is being simultaneously shoved down it (by every individual at my school, including myself). Sometimes I feel that I can't get enough of it though. even when I am worn out lying on my couch craving some mindless television (to escape from the knowledge), my subconscious wants to read something intelligent.
Not all of it is intelligent though. All of the essays, articles, and teachings I read (particularly the essays) sometimes I feel most of those "Introspective" people don't know what the Hell they are talking about... For example, here is an excerpt from one of my most recent readings:
"Today, whatever the avatars of this concept may have been, we have to acknowledge that if in discourse the city serves as a totalizing and almost mythical landmark for socioeconomic and political strategies, urban life increasingly permits the re-emergence of the element that the urbanization project excluded."
So firstly:
WHAT THE HELL??
secondly:
I know that essays require thought, and there is nothing wrong with communicating that, but why can't we keep it just a little more simpler? I mean, who talks like that? Nobody, and if I ever met someone who did talk like that I'd probably run out on them mid-sentence screaming (and possibly flailing my arms).
and thirdy:
Apparently using big words such as socioeconomic and re-emergence makes you smart, but the only thing it does for me is warn me just the opposite.
What I believe this lovely author was trying to put was that : No matter what media is in the city, it is most likely propaganda.
No how hard was that? extremely I guess...
This last Monday was my Drawing class's first NUDE model experience, and no one can argue that anytime being NUDE is not an experience (if you ask me it's never anything but). So when she arrived we were all in anticipation as to what she was going to look like. All of us have a great respect for the human body (well, most I'm pretty sure) and I know we wouldn't mind someone not as perfect, but we were all really hoping for someone in somewhat physical shape and the likeness of a goddess. So when she entered we all weren't taken aback by her rays of sunlight gold flashing from her body, but we were in a good way of course. She was short, and had a butch like pix cut which made her unique. We all had our eyes on her and her purple robe as she very vigorously ripped it off from her petite shape. At this, I almost giggled. Not because I am imature and can't handle the "nude experience" but at her dramatic action of taking of the robe. It was almost as if we burst through to the other side of the knowledge of art. NUDE art.
So to be completely appropriate in this emergence (big word, yes!) I switched my I-pod to Radiohead's NUDE and let each stroke executed be influenced by Thom Yorke's synesthesia drug singing. As I drew, every curve of her was beautiful. I'll say this once because it is an obvious fact to artists, but I believe the second best admirer of the human body (particularly the woman's) is the artist. We look at it differently, in an amazing emphatic way. It's almost like a super power really. We have the ability to view one of god's treasured masterpieces and not gawk at it, or lust after it, but to silently applaud in our thoughts and work.
That's a gift given to the artist. The humble one.
Ryder x Urban Outfitters
7 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment