Friday, January 2, 2009

Engagements


A lot has happened in only a period of a few days...
My sister just got engaged this Wednesday. Yes, a magical New Years.
Also on this very night, my cousin Corey got engaged after waiting four years to save for the ring. All of this has been exhausting, emotionally. I don't know if I am ready to give my sister away, let alone this fast. But I do know that I love her, and I will do what makes her happy. Plus everyone is getting engaged. I don't know if it is just me? Maybe. All of my friends seem to be, as well as distant ones I haven't talked to for years. I have almost lost it for days now, thinking about life and things. Thanks to college and the long tiring nights of thinking, I am now a person way more in tune with my emotions.
All of this "romance" reminds me of those damn Ralph Lauren commercials. You know, the ones you laugh at while watching in public, but secretly adore alone. One of the magazine ads for the fragrance, I will never forget. In it, a young man is kissing a girl's stomach. Whenever I would look at this with my friends around I would just giggle at it and then turn the page, but I was always struck by the image. It is a weird place to kiss someone, but the image simply but powerfully shows that when you are in love, you love every inch of that person. Like you do yourself. It's an image full of promises. Promises of future, self sacrifice, and adoration.
~

As far as my New Years, it was alright, but not the best in my book. I personally like cozying up next to a warm fire, playing board games, drinking cultured drinks, watching dumb artists on TV play till the ball drops, and talking. I also on occasion, love to go out somewhere where I can get away with dressing up, and feel like the fine sophisticated woman I know I am. This New Years was not like that. I spent it around people I barely knew, who were getting drunk and not making the wisest decisions. I would say the best part about the night though was, The Kiss. That's right ladies.... It was my first New Years kiss ever, and I'm so glad I had it with someone that I will be kissing for times to come.
Have you ever kissed someone and felt such a way that you felt that before you knew nothing at all? That you never wanted to stop kissing that person because it felt like nothing before?
Yep, viola.

When I was about 10 or so I would go over to an older friend's house, and when bored, would look through her enormous collection of teen vogue. I came upon an image in a Christmas shoot of two young people kissing each other. The way they were kissing, it was so gentle and lovingly, I decided I wanted to be kissed like that. So I secretly stole the page, and still have it since. I found it the other day while cleaning, and while looking at the crumpled image, I laughed. I have that kiss now, I realize.
~
As for New Years:
Sometimes the future scares the crap out of me, other times I feel at an intoxicating ease that somehow everything will turn out alright. Right now I basically need lots of hugs and kisses to get to the other side and realize I can only do things one at a time.

0 comments:

 
 
Copyright © A technicolor journey through life
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com